The cable TV arrived few decades ago and replaced TV Antennaswhen they were used for receiving the television transmission. The cable TV operators offered many channels and the set up includes huge dish shaped antennas that are placed on top of the cable operator’s office or house. Customers were able to get a connection by paying a deposit and a monthly subscription charges. This set up includes the laying of cables through narrow streets and pathways alongside buildings. Any disruption to service due to rain or other reason led to poor signals transmission.
The DTH service has emerged as a better alternative to cable Television services.DTH service is the next generation technology that offers different kind of TV viewing experience. One needs to have a small dish for receiving the TV/AV signal and a Set Top Boxfor receiving and delivering the signal.
· DTH provides better picture, audio and sound quality than cable TV. It is because the cable TV in India makes use of analog signals while DTH uses digital signals that are transmitted directly from
· the satellite to home. The cable transmission is still analog in spite of digital transmission and reception of TV signals.
· DTH services provide stereophonic sound effects that are much better than the sound quality received from cable TV.
· DTH services are available even in remote areas and locations however; the penetration of cable TV is limited to only to those terrestrial regions where the cable can be laid.
· Cable TV does not offer any Interactive services while DTH services provide enhanced interactive TV services including Internet access, email, video conferencing and movie-on-demand.
· The DTH and Cable services differ in the way of reaching the consumer’s home. In case of DTH, TV channels are transmitted from the satellite directly to a small dish antenna in the window or rooftop of the consumer’s home. Thus, it allows the broadcaster to directly connect with the user and does not involve middlemen like local cable operator.
The Cable services are offered via the cables laid by cable operators. It involves the transmission of TV channels from the broadcaster via satellite to the dish antenna of local cable operator which then provide connections to the consumers via cables.
· DTH is an advanced next generation technology that offers as much as 700 channels while cable TV has limitations of transmitting selected number of channels with proper picture and sound quality.
· DTH services offer the consumers to select the Dynamic Program Packages they want to use. Thus, consumers will pay for what they want to watch. However, in case of Cable TV, consumers do not have much choice to select their preferred channels.
· Dth services provide Advanced Viewing Control Features such as Electronic Program Guide (EPG), however there are no such services available with cable TV.
· DTh services allows the consumer to move the dish and STB to anywhere conveniently, however it is not the same with Cable tV where consumers have to take new connection at new location.
Disclaimer : Information subject to change. Please check with the vendor’s website for latest information.