· Access Card –It is plastic card that comes with satellite receiver and it identifies each receiver and informs the program provider about Pay-Per-View (PPV) usage every month.
· Antenna –It refers to a device that is attached to television for enhancing reception of local program signals (UHF and/or VHF).
· APG – Advance Program Guide
· ATSC – Advance Television Standard Committee
· Add-On Packages –These are additional programming upgrades that are added to a base package. It allows the customers to personalize programming with international channels,movies, sports, and pay-per-view.
· Bandwidth – It refers to a range of frequencies available on the electromagnetic spectrum.
· Broadband – Aset of digital technologies that offers the facility of signal switched to customers so that they can get integrated access tohigh-speed data service, voice, interactive delivery services, and video-on-demand services.
· CEMA – Consumer Electronics Manufacturers Association
· Common Carrier – This term denotes FCC’s class of transmission systems including telephone, telegraph and certain satellites
· Compression- It is a descriptive term for reducing the amount of bandwidth required for transmitting video or audio, thereby increasing the transponder’s capacity.
· CONUS -Continental United States Continuous Wave.
· Decibel – It refers to an analog unit for measuring signal strength in logarithmic form.
· DBS- Direct Broadcast Satellite It refers to transmission of audio and video signals through satellite directly to the end user by using C-Band and Ku-Band receivers.
· Demodulation- Process ofretrieving modulated information signal onto a carrier.
· Dish – Disc shaped antenna
· Downlink -Process of receiving signals from a satellite
· DTH -Direct-To-Home that refers to process of receiving satellite transmission directly to the home.
· DVR -Digital Video Recorders
· Encryption –It refers to the procedure of electronically converting video and/or audio signals into different format than the original.
· EPG – Electronic Programming Guide
· FSS – Fixed Satellite Service
· GSO -Geosynchronous Orbit
· HDTV -High Definition Television Technology that increases the resolution of digital video signals leading to improved picture quality
· Hybrid Satellite- A satellite which carries different communications payloads
· Hz, Hertz Cycle per second; a measure of electromagnetic frequency that represents the number of complete electrical waves in a second.
· ICTA -Independent Cable & Telecommunications Association.
· IPG -Interactive Programming Guide.
· INMARSAT -International Maritime Satellite Organization.
· INTELSAT – International Telecommunications Satellite Organization.
· ITU- International Telecommunications Union.
· IRD – Integrated Receiver Decoder
· Impulse Pay-Per-View Technology –It enables the consumer to buy a movie or special event instantly through computerized order processing centre.
· Ka-Band – 18 to 31 gigaHertz which is higher frequency than Ku-Band
· Ku-Band – 11.7-12.7 GHz (Gigahertz) frequency band.
· LEO -Low Earth Orbitsatellites that are placed in orbit less than 22,300 miles above the earth.
· LNB -Low Noise Block convertor which is used for amplifying and converting satellite signals into frequencies sent to the tuner.
· Modulation – It refers to the process of converting information signal into format that can be sent onto a carrier for transmission.
· MPEG -Motion Pictures Experts Group.
· NAB- National Association of Broadcasters.
· NCTA -National Cable Television Association.
· Packet Data – A process for transmitting data in discrete units called packets that allow efficient usage of channel capacity and reliable transfer.
· Pad – It refers to transponder channel attenuation.
· PVR – Personal Video Recorder (PVR) Product
· PCS – Personal Communications System.
· QPSK – Quaternary Phase Shift Keying
· RPM – Revolutions Per Minute.
· RBOC – Regional Bell Operating Company.
· SBCA – Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association.
· SCPC – Single Channel Per-Carrier
· Satellite Antenna (Dish) – It refers to a parabolic antenna which collects satellite signals.
· SMATV -Satellite Master Antenna Television
· SNG -Satellite Newsgathering.
· Transceiver – It is a combination of transmitter and receiver.
· Transponder- It refers to a satellite component for receiving and retransmitting a TV signal or audio channels.
· TVRO – (Television Receive-Only)
· UHF -Ultra High Frequency Band in the 500 to 900 MHz range
· VHF -Very High Frequency; Band in the 30 to 300 MHz range
· VSAT- Very Small Aperture Terminal
Disclaimer : Information subject to change. Please check with the vendor’s website for latest information.